The Best Advice for a FSBO
So you’re thinking of selling your house or condo on your own. You are taking the route of FSBO (For Sale By Owner). As a real estate and marketing consultant I can tell you that the chances of you selling your home on your own will be a slower process than listing it with an agent. Now, I’m not saying this to sway you to list a property with an agent or myself – I’m saying this because there is a huge marketing issue with selling a property as a FSBO.
Let’s begin. Condos obviously do not have yards, which means there are no yard signs to place and advertise your property for sale. Condo and single-family home owners that are looking to sell their home DO have websites that they can advertise such as Craigslist, Ebay, FSBO.com, etc. So what’s the issue? It’s not enough! There’s a lack of exposure when advertising the property. What do GOOD real estate agents have that home owners don’t?
1. A very large database of contacts: Part of a job as a real estate agent is to network and make contacts with everyone they see. As you can imagine, my database of contacts is filled with different professionals ranging from interior designers, interested home buyers, lawyers, plumbers, vacation rental experts, a cleaning team and more. In real estate, the saying goes, “It’s what you know and who you know.”
2. Access to MLS: When Realtors need to list a property for sale, they usually place the property first on the Multiple Listing Service (MLS). The great thing about the MLS is that it syncs to numerous other websites such as Zillow, Trulia, and others that advertise the property. Any licensed real estate agent that has access to MLS can view a property that is listed on MLS. You can’t imagine the flood of calls and interest in a property once a home is listed.
3. Marketing material and strategies: Creative real estate agents come up with the most brilliant ideas to sell a property. It’s not all about just listing a house or condo on MLS, it’s also about marketing – this is why I call myself a real estate and marketing consultant. I do not just list a home, I market it. Now, I can’t go into details of how I do my marketing, but I can tell you that it’s out of the box and very efficient. Marketing has no rules as long as it’s legal and ethical, so you can imagine the possibilities of getting a home sold.
4. Knowledge of the market: FSBOs usually overprice their home when they decide to sell. The reason? Home owners are attached to their property, and when they sell it themselves, they tend to overprice it without knowledge of the real estate market. Experienced real estate professionals can provide home owners with a solid understanding of real estate market conditions including what is selling, what has sold, and what the property should sell for.
5. It’s our job: As Realtors, it’s our job to sell your home. We do not do anything else but market your property. This is what we get paid to do and this is what we are trained to do. Would you want a tailor to tailor your clothes or a shoe salesman?
At the end of the day, if you want your home sold by someone who has your best interest in mind and can filter out the non-qualified buyers, then I highly recommend you choose a real estate and marketing consultant. Earlier in the post I wrote that as Realtors, we have a large database of contacts. I also mentioned something about having a cleaning team and vacation rental specialists. If you are interested in getting in touch with one of my EXCLUSIVE contacts for a vacation rental or if you need a professional cleaning team then visit my contact here. When you call, tell them Mor Assuline sent you. If you want a FREE home consultation then email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can discuss how we can get your home sold in no time. Don’t forget to visit my fan page for updates and great real estate tips.